RE: Website Comments (PHP)

by Christopher Higgs <chiggs(at)unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:22:20 +1100
 To:  Jason <dawgclan(at)shaw.ca>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:03 PM 24/02/2003 -0800, Jason wrote:
>Sounds like you have an excellent idea though :)

Well, it was working perfectly for me until my Win2000 server died
irreparably.  I'm in the middle of transferring the system from
Win200/IIS/ASP/MS_Access to Linux/Apache/PHP/PostgreSQL.

>I would assume it would be a page similar to a bb
>administration page, based on sessions, and editing a SQL databse, or
>were you still going for a text database?

Very similar to an admin page with password protection.  Obviously fully db
is easier to manage, but for small sites XML datastores are sufficient with
or without a database for file management.

It's not as difficult as it sounds.

Also, keep in mind that this processing can occur on a separate machine
with the finished "HTML output" uploaded to an external server which only
offers static pages and FTP access.

Chris Higgs
Manager, New Learning Technology
ILFR, University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/
Phone: +61 3 8344 9749  Fax: + 61 3 9348 2156