Re: Seeking utility to view HTTP exchange

by Christopher Higgs <chiggs(at)unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:26:50 +1100
 To:  Matt Young <mattyoungrev2(at)yahoo.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:50 PM 27/03/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Can anyone recommend a simple utility that would allow me to peek at the
>HTTP exchange between browser and server?  I have that pocket O'Rielley
>guide to HTTP--HTTP seems quite readable really--but I can't find any
>simple/free tools that will let me take a look.  Do any of the browsers
>allow you to see the exchange with some option that's burried away from
>prying eyes?

You could always install a packet sweeper like Ethereal on your computer
and filter the output to show only HTTP traffic to/from that server.

http://www.ethereal.com/

Chris Higgs
Manager, New Learning Technology
ILFR, University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/
Phone: +61 3 8344 9749  Fax: + 61 3 9348 2156