Re: Search engines and meta tags

by Gary Krockover <gary(at)garykrockover.com>

 Date:  Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:02:22 -0600
 To:  HWG Techniques list <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You're going to receive about a dozen different suggestions and opinions on
this, be forewarned.  However, here's my 2 cents:

I use Web Position Gold and have had great success using it.  It will let
you setup a scheduler for the submissions and also has a great "Reporter"
feature that will show you where you stack up on all the top search engines
(including international) for your keywords.  If you like, I can send you a
report that ran overnight for a client who has found great placement in a
few months time after being nowhere on any search engine before.

On meta tags, keywords/description:  their use/value has definitely
depreciated because of abuse by people using keywords and/or descriptions
that really had nothing to do with the site for placement purposes.  They
are still valuable though.  My best results have come when I used
"keyphrases" of 3-5 words, not single words - you'll never get top
placement for a single word such as "shoes".  Google "shoes" and see what
comes up!  Instead, try "dallas area shoe sales" (for example).  You'll
have much more luck with that.  I tell my clients, come up with between
25-35 keyphrases of what you would type into a search engine to find a site
like yours.

My best results have come with solid keyphrases and a description that uses
many of those words from the phrases.  Also, and importantly, content of
the site should match the description and keyphrases.  They should be
sprinkled throughout the site - not overdone, but definitely present on
each page.

So, if one of your keyphrases was "dallas area shoe sales".  Your
description might include "....an authorized Dallas area shoe retailer and
sales for Nike..."

Then, on the pages that list your products, you would include that phrase:
<h2>Joe's Shoes, Dallas area Shoe Sales - Product List</h2>

Not the best example, but should give you the idea.  The words don't have
to be next to each other either, just on the pages somewhere.

A neat trick is to do a Google for a phrase that you're thinking of
using.  Then, in the results, click on "Cached" to get to the page instead
of the page link itself.  It will highlight each word of your search phrase
and you'll most likely see how they are sprinkled throughout the page on
the top results.

GK