Re: Content/Data Management

by Gary Krockover <gary(at)garykrockover.com>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:53:44 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Are you looking for a pre-packaged software solution or a custom
built/modified solution?  I haven't looked at the pre-packed solutions, so
I don't know how much flexibility you have with them as far as customization.

What server-side scripting languages do you have available to you from your
web host?  I know there's several pre-built PHP CMS scripts that could be
adapted and modified as needed (under open-source agreements).

I wrote something that does exactly what you seek, though it's for a hobby
site of mine and relates to players profiles, and the ability for them to
log in and update their profile, upload an image of themselves and to have
other players search upon the lot for matches to their criteria.  I wrote
it in WebDNA, which most likely isn't an available option for you (unless
you're looking to relocate your hosting) but PHP or just about any other
script could do the same.  I guess it depends on how comfortable you are
with coding - if that's a problem then I guess going for a pre-packaged
solution will be your best (only?) option.  If you're ok with working with
something like PHP, then I'd go for something that you could fully customize.

Doesn't answer your question I guess, but thought I'd throw that out there
anyways.  :-)

GK