Re: Tutorial on CSS for layout

by Mark Horvath <markchorvath(at)comcast.net>

 Date:  Wed, 09 Feb 2005 05:27:41 -0500
 To:  Andrew Black <andrew3(at)black1.org.uk>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to do layouts in CSS - e.g.
>create a sidebar etc

Hi Andrew,

Like you said, reverse engineering can be tricky and even discouraging if
you are not comfortable with the basics yourself. Below are some links that
might be useful to you. I also found Molly Holzschlag's "Cascading Style
Sheets - the Designer's Edge" a good starting point.  I would also highly
recommend the HTML Writer's Guild on-line classes as a great place the
begin developing your own sense of CSS.

CSS Layout Techniques: for Fun and Profit
http://glish.com/css/home.asp
Contains a variety of column layout examples, useful for creating a sidebar
and content  layout. See the links for resources and tutorials

The CSShark Answers FAQs
http://www.mako4css.com/

Web Design Guild (WDG) - Cascading Style Sheets
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/
If you need the basic principles, this is a good place to start

W3 Schools
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
Another good site to step you through the basics

Hope this may be of help,

Mark Horvath