Re[2]: Stupid Question ~ Was "Re: Paragraphing"

by Nathan Lyle <nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Jun 2002 23:31:22 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> If we continue to try to make a given design appear "exactly the same"
> across only the most popular browsers, I don't see how we've
> accomplished much besides making page design simpler and easier.
> <snip>
> If most people on this list, as you suggest, "really only care about IE
> 6," then I suggest the state of web design has reached a really low ebb.

This issue has been on my mind for some time, as I've thought about
the concept of what a web page is supposed to be. And of course, what
it's supposed to be differs from one person to another. I'm not sure
where I ultimately come down on this issue. On one hand, the web seems
no different than other advertising mediums (basically competing for
attention of consumers) but on the other it's an information resource
that needs to be as widely compatible as possible. It seems to me that
both extremes of the spectrum are represented with those examples:
cynical to idealistic, and that the true answer will be nineteen
somewhere. No matter how much it becomes or remains about the content,
there will always be a "need" (perceived or real) to control the
format of the content. We are a visual creature, for the most part.

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts.

~ The U.P. Web Maestro (Nathan Lyle)

  E-Mail: nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com
  Online: www.upwebmaestro.com
   Phone: (906)485-4806

"People say Microsoft paid 14M$ for using the Rolling Stones song 'Start me up' in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14M$ only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line 'You'll make a grown man cry'."