Re[4]: Form Field Names

by Nathan Lyle <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>

 Date:  Sat, 18 May 2002 02:08:53 -0400
 To:  HWG Techniques Email List <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I'm pretty sure that HTML doesn't allow spaces in names either,
> though I could be mistaken.  Never had the need or desire
> to do it like that, actually.
> ALL scripting languages that will access information from
> HTML elements will have problems with spaces in names, so
> in general I wouldn't recommend it (unless you're a glutton
> for punishment).  I'd  recommend writing it out like this,
> if you're so hardup to
> do so: "whichSideOfTheEarthIsTheMoonOnRightNow", but as you
> can imagine typing that out, it's entirely impractical.

No one's said otherwise, and my first inclination was the same as your
feeling that spaces aren't "proper usage". I'll probably end up using
_ between words in this one case that's brought this up for me... I
think the stuck-together method is going to confuse those who have to
read the info when it's emailed. The _ looks funny in a sentence, but
at least it *almost* creates a space between the words. :) So I
suppose it's: "Which_side_of_the_Earth_is_the_Moon_on_right_now" (and
probably best to leave out the question mark, I suppose. I bet it
would play hell with the location parsing.

~ Nathan Lyle (The U.P. Web Maestro)

  E-Mail: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
  Personal URI: www.nathanlyle.com
  Work URI: www.upwebmaestro.com

"The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend." - Henri Bergson (1859-1941) - French philosopher