Re: CSS inheritance - newbie question

by Juergen Poetschik <hwg(at)jpoetschik.de>

 Date:  Wed, 3 Oct 2001 12:55:11 +0200
 To:  HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello, John!

At 04.10.01 (04:09) you wrote:

JA> but my gut feel is that it would be better (? more maintainable) to
JA> define the style of a group of elements together and then to specify
JA> the exceptions eg

JA> Is there some reason for NOT doing it the way I suggest? ie defining
JA> a common base style and noting the exceptions?
Yes. It seems logic to me, too, but good old netscape (4.xx) doesn't accept that:

JA> H1,H2,H3 { font-family: arial, tahoma, helvetica, sans-serif;

Another way to cascade the elements is possible (the idea of cascading
is still great)

body {font-family:... }
H1 { font-size:...}
p  { font-size: .. color:...
td {same

 fine turorial:
http://media.netscape.com/real/css1rm/Indexr.htm

JA> OT
JA> 1. Does anyone know of a CSS 'tidy' program ? I would prefer to see
CSS-Validator:
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/services/datenhaltung/text/css-validator

JA> H3 {
JA> font-size:        13pt;
JA> font-weight:     bold;
JA> color:             #336699;
JA> text-align:        left;
JA>  }

JA> 2. This CSS comes from a real site that has been mentioned on this
JA> list before. I still have not come up to speed on the arguments for px
JA> vs em vs pt, but I note that the above CSS uses a mixture of px and
JA> pt. Is this more likely an oversight or is it possibly a design
JA> consideration that I am unaware of?

AFAIK there's no design-rule for using more than 2 different
font-sizes/faces, etc. And you have simply more control using only pt or
px.

Juergen Poetschik