Re: VBscript & other stuff

by Farieda Amatullah <amatullah(at)da-projects.nl>

 Date:  Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:25:52 +0200
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:53:10 -0400, you wrote:

>Hey group,

Hey Lisa,
Here my 2 cts.

>I'm learning VBscript but I have a question. If VBscript can only be used
>for IE, wouldn't JavaScript be a better, more universal language to use?

I rather use JavaScript than VBscript, because of safety issues.
Remember email virusses? Think VBscript.

It is that my provider does not support php, so I am stuck with asp.
Though in general I prefer php over asp.

>know that most ASP uses VBscript, and ASP is Micr$oft too. Suggestions?

Well as others already may have mentioned, ASP stands for Active
Server Pages, means it is server side based so whatevr script you use
they all get the job done. All the webbrowser will see is html code.

My suggestion to you actually is to go and find some websites covering
both javascript and vbscript and stick to the one language you feel
most comfortable with.  Once you have some programming experience
under the belt you can start broading your horizon. then you also know
better what to look for, and what not.

C is rather hefty to learn, and so is perl, but they are incredibly
powerful. If I were you however, I'd start with something more
'simple' like javascript, vbscript or if you can choose another server
side scripting platform other than asp I'd say to try some php. The
biggest advantage of php is that it is an all in one solution open
platform programming galore.

Oh, and jscript is not entirely compatible with javascript, but I
suppose MS had to answer anyway.

Salute to peace,
Farieda
Farieda E. Roele