Re: Netscape 4.76

by MVHOG(at)aol.com

 Date:  Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:57:21 EST
 To:  jnwhittley(at)fuse.net
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
In a message dated 11/18/00 12:42:36 PM Central Standard Time,
jnwhittley(at)fuse.net writes:

<< Biggest mistake I ever made was upgrading to 4.7.  4.6 was so stable for
me, I
 never experienced any problems with 4.6.  Once I updated to 4.7, I got to
pages
 that said forbidden.  I have what I call a phantom browser that takes over my
 system.
 I can close my browser, and be looking at  a desktop..  I can click Ctr Alt
 and in my list of programs running shows netscape.  I have to click it and
End
 program, two or three times to get it to leave.  I have a friend who is using
 2000, and she is having the same problems, I am. I am using 98 SE.

 I know the phantom browser is open, when I can't go to a site.  I can click
on
 links and they just sit there.  I will be reloading my entire system
shortly, and
 I am going to reload 4.6, and there I will stay. there are other quirky
things it
 does, but I can't remember the right now.  So if it was me, I would just stay
 with what you got.
 A browser is like a car..  it gets you from point A to point B.  Seeing a
bigger
 and better car next to you, and moving over to it, just gives you more
things to
 go wrong.  It still only gets you from point A to point B.  I say if it ain't
 broke don't change.  But that is me..

 Nancy

 MVHOG(at)aol.com wrote:

 > I really hate to ask this question since all the raving about Netscape,
 > **smile**, I have Netscape Comm. 4.61 and I see that I can upgrade to
4.76, I
 > don't want the 6.0 yet.
 > My question is:  Which is best?
 > 1.) Use the Smart Update and download and let it auto install, and if I do
 > this, will I still have all my plugins etc.?
 > 2.) Go to Add/Remove and remove the Netscape I have now, then using my
 > Internet Explorer, download the version 4.76 and start from scratch?  I
don't
 > mind getting all the plugins etc. again, just don't want unnecessary space
 > taken up on my computer if at all possible.
 > Thanks in advance, and also will I lose my Outlook Express program if I
 > uninstall?
 > ~~Lanice~~

Okay, that makes good sense to me, I normally don't use Netscape anyway, the
hubby does...........when I do, I ususally get an I/O and it closes on
me.....but not all the time.  I guess I will keep the version I have now,
thanks for the reply!

~~Lanice~~