Re: Static Text in Style Sheets

by WebProgrmr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Fri, 4 Feb 2000 19:57:00 EST
 To:  polly.heil(at)us.nestle.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
To be direct... No.

I used to hope for this, but found out that it's possible in Server Side
Includes.  If you do some research on your own, you'll find the answer in an
SSI tutorial.  I promise.  The thing about SSI is that your server has to be
configured to handle them.

A little lesson on Includes:

When a SSI file is accessed, the server looks at the code for any SSI
commands.  These commands act like Server Side Scripts that execute very
specific actions.  The most common is the "include" command.  It inserts text
from another file into the html document before it serves the file to the
client.  When the client sees the html, they see what's happened after the
server has read through the file and for all intents and purposes the file
looks like it was programmed that way in static html.

The way to tell an SSI file?  Instead of .html, the file ends in .shtml.
This is the clue to the server that it needs to parse through the file.

You can also do this same thing with JavaScript but I'm not a JS code monkey.

The benefit of JS is that it's not server dependent.  You can likely make it
do what SSI does with less hassles.

Hope this was educational.

++Dan