Re[2]: Internet Explorer & GIFs

by Nathan Lyle <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>

 Date:  Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:52:55 -0400
 To:  "Andrew Armstrong" <andrew(at)wisca.co.uk>
 Cc:  javascript <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> My copy displays gifs just fine. It sounds like a problem of relative or
> absolute addressing.

This was one of my first thoughts too... but I almost always use
relative addressing to avoid problems like this. (Also makes
transporting a site to different locations easier.)

> On the server, addressing an images directory at the
> same level as the one containing the html, and off the base directory of the
> site, could be like href="/images/picture.gif " while addressing it to work
> on the hard disc as well as on the server would need
> href="../images/picture.gif"

If the GIF is in the same directory as an HTML file, then no directory
is needed (at least, never has been before) sot that it would be
src="picture.gif" without any .. or /'s.

~Nathan Lyle   (The Tragic Comedian Poet)

Email: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
Phone: (906)485-4806
  Web: www.nathanlyle.com

"The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend." - Henri Bergson (1859-1941) - French philosopher