Re: OT: Dumb AOL Question

by K4CC(at)aol.com

 Date:  Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:56:32 EST
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
In a message dated Tue, 7 Mar 2000  3:16:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, "J.P.
Ambrutis" <jpa(at)aye.net> writes:

> I assume that it doesn't use a standard POP3 mail client but rather a
> proprietary AOL thing.  Correct?

Right.

> And I assume that you can't use that same "mail client" to get standard
POP3> mail from a standard non-AOL mail server. Correct?

Also correct.

> Can he run something like Outlook express from his AOL connection and still
> get to our POP3 server?  And if so, can you check AOL mail from a standard
> POP3 client like Outlook express?

Yes and no. Yes, he can run Outlook Express after logging on to AOL and
manage mail from other sites. No, he can't access AOL mail through another
client, HOWEVER, he can check mail at AOL.COM using any browser.
Now, if someone could just tell how I could wean my wife off of AOL so I
wouldn't have to know all these things ... ??!!??

Dave