RE: IE5 for Mac & dpi preference

by Freda Lockert <fredalockert(at)clara.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 1 Aug 2000 21:18:39 +0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>ems won't do you any good for font sizes (at least, they shouldn't) since
>the em unit is based on the font point size. If you did define a default
>point size, then 10 ems would be HUGE.

Web designers have pinched ems from us typographers <grin>. To a
typographer, an em is a width measurement but CSS uses it to measure
length *and* height (shock, horror). Chapter 3 in "Cascading Style
Sheets - Designing for the Web" - is entitled "The amazing em unit
and other best practices". 10 ems IS enormous; I used the book's
recommendation of  1 em for body text and 1.2 em for <h1> for a site
for partially sighted visitors, where some viewers have browsers set
for much larger sizes, 24pt in at least two cases. It's an all text
site on an intranet, and everyone can read it.

Regards

Freda
--
Never give up on what you know in your heart to be right. The world
needs you and your commitment, desperately. - John Denver.