Re: Web page conversion into print?

by Freda Lockert <fredalockert(at)clara.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Nov 2000 23:55:38 +0000
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Is there anyway to take an online catalog an easily convert it to a
>format that
>can be sent to a commercial printer (NOT a desk-top printer).  There
>are ways to
>take a catalog, say in Quark, and make web pages, but is there a way to go the
>other direction?
>
>Alan

I don't think this is possible, but stand to be corrected. To produce
work for print the first thing you need to know before you start is
the resolution of the device the thing's going to be printed on. For
quality commercial work you're talking image setting at around 2,600
dpi. Artwork for print is scanned on commercial drum scanners, for
colour images each colour channel is scanned separately. A far cry
from web quality. Then there's issues of colour trapping, screening,
and miscellaneous other things. The job goes to the printer as a set
of PostScript files or often now, PDF.

A humorous Irish response to a request for directions - 'If I was
going there I wouldn't start from here'.

Freda

--
Spaceship Earth - The problem for the passengers is that there is no
operating manual to identify all the parts, and no instructions for