Re: hosts, shopping and servers

by Kid Stevens <Kidstevens(at)comcast.net>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:42:55 -0600
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Teajai,

I see nothing new in that.  The technology for such services was
implemented in ADNC.net in 1995, at IBM in 1996 and at ICC.com(now defunct
due to the lack of advertising) in 1999.

A Compaq 7000 series server farm I managed at IBM hosted; one 14.2gig
partition, as a base, per hosting client with each hosting client running
multiple web and mail servers for their hosted clients.  All this on one
box with 24 14.2gig drives and 2gig of RAM.  If a hosting client wanted
more space we would slot a new drive and bond it to the raid array for that
client.  The hosted clients never saw a lack of disk space as at 75% of
utilization I would receive a page about disk capacity and begin
deliberations with the hosting service.

The hosting and hosted clients had their own name servers also.  Inside of
the server was 15 Ethernet cards fully redundant with dual ports and a
range of separate IP addresses for every hosting client.

--
Sincerely,
Kid Stevens

"I spend so much time alone that I begin to lose my humanity."
Yes I stole that from the movie "Wing Commander" and changed 3 words to suit me