Re: Professional Courtesy

by Kid Stevens <Kidstevens(at)comcast.net>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:16:41 -0600
 To:  Pat Crawford <pat.crawford(at)which.net>,
Christie Cooksey <christie(at)thearmidalemall.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Why not?

Seems very valid to me as a Web designer and Security Manager.  New
designers have no experience with everything on the Web.  So as we learned
as little children; if we stick something in those two slots in the wall we
learn.  I do not believe Christie meant young as in physical age, but more
so as, new to the art of crafting web sites.

At IBM, my Officedepot shopping servers, not the ones you see when you go
to officedepot.com, I would be tasked with purging 30 to 50 fake orders a
day from the SQL database.  Now some of those were hackers out to do code
reviews.  Some were students in an HTML class at an unnamed college, still
others random fake orders.

The hackers oh well they couldn't get anywhere since they weren't one of
the 200 or so accounts allowed to log in.  The college, a polite request
stopped that problem.  The others too many and too random to be hackers yet
when doing a DNS parse/grep on the logs we would find that many would map
out to, using whois, to Web design services.

The servers where not listed on the Internet search engines.  Since only
invited customers could come use them.  There was no need for anyone to
enter false orders to see how the page worked.  A good HTML primer and a
perl programmer could have taught them more.

If they want to learn forms and shopping carts, they can ask here and shop
the canned solution vendors for carts and ask the support of those vendors
where they can test a cart.  Probing someone else's site is no good for
showing up security holes.  If they are honest what business do they have
looking for holes or crashing the cart system.  The FBI take hacking very
seriously.  Free Testers of a working site?  That makes no sense,  testing
is for before production.  After production of the cart it is analysis of
performance that is critical.

I find this funny in 4 years of my own business I never had faked paper
orders.  A professional would not have the time to waste playing with the
site.  Whereas a call or e-mail could get a tech's honest beliefs about
performance.

--
Truly,
Kid Stevens

"If you don't believe in Dragons, they will stop believing in You.
That would be a sad affair indeed for all."