HWG - ALERT: Your messages are bouncing was Re: Keywords?

by Kid Stevens <Kidstevens(at)comcast.net>

 Date:  Thu, 30 May 2002 11:03:11 -0600
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>From DMOZ where I am an editor.

There is no specific number restriction, but if it looks anything like this
Desc:

Discount, Cruising, Cruises, Alaskas Glacier Bay Tours, Alaska Sightseeing
Cruises West, American Hawaii Cruises, Bergen Lines, Carnival Cruise Lines,
Carnival Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Commodore Cruise Lines, Costa Cruise
Lines, Crystal Cruise Lines, Cunard
Cruise Lines, Delta Queen Steamboat Company, Disney Cruise Lines, Dolphin
Cruise Lines, Holland America Lines, Mediterranean Shipping Cruises,
Norwegian Cruise Lines, Norwegian Cruises, Orient Lines, Premier Cruises,
Princess Cruises, Princess Cruise Lines, Radisson Seven Seas, Regal
Cruises, Renaissance Cruises, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean
Cruises, Royal Caribbean International, Royal Olympic Cruises, Seabourn
Cruise Lines, Silversea Cruises, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, Windjammer
Bare Foot Cruises, Windstar Cruises, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Europe,
South America, Aruba, Jamaica, Mexico, Far East, Australia, Africa

"It's not up to guidelines compliance.  (Okay, that one is an extreme, but
I've seen three-line "descriptions" of the same ilk already listed in the
directory. They need to be corrected.)"

On DMOZ any keyword list longer than 2 lines will get pruned when we find
it.  A good point is Alaska Cruise Line and Cruise Line and Cruise will all
return sights related to Cruise.  Cruise, Lines, Alaska, American, Hawaii,
Bergen, Carnival, Celebrity and so on up to two lines will add more words
to a search relevance rather than missing a word on line 5.  Regal will
most likely get missed since it is deep in the keywords.  If I take all the
repeated words out then I can fit many more important words in.

When a site is sent to DMOZ for submission it appears before a category
editor.  We then look at the site and rewrite the description entered for
the site if the original is not truly descriptive.  So an editor looks over
a sight and doesn't see all the Meta keywords in the text.  Your relevance
can go south since the key words are missing.

As for DMOZ the Engine reads the word in it's entirety.

--
Sincerely,
Kid Stevens

"If I close my eyes forever, will things remain the same?"
Ozzie Osborn and Lita Ford