Re: Width sizing for a Mac

by Kid Stevens <Kidstevens(at)comcast.net>

 Date:  Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:24:26 -0600
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  hwg-techniques-digest(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Another note on Macs.  The Mac is very honest about it's dealings with
humans.  If you have speakable items turned on, the Mac compliant browsers
will not try and cover that little window.  If you are using folder tabs on
the bottom of the screen, browsers will try and avoid them.  If the machine
is in simple finder mode or child restricted mode then three areas of the
screen are off limits; left edge, bottom edge and right edge, the width of
the longest named drive.   The browsers can also be forced to not cover the
drives on the right side by default in system 7.6 and up.  So if a browser
window does not have code to capture the whole screen there will be always
instances for windows to not be the size you expect.  Most Mac users are a
more enlightened bunch when it comes to the idiosyncrasies of browser
windows.

No Mac comes with a 13" screen anymore, iMacs are 15" and Apple supports
from 512*384 for SEs, Pluses and such up to 1600*1200.  They also have a
22" Landscape LCD monitor for true 2 page side by side screen with the
desktop still visible on the right.

As the words of Rob Atkinson fell from above I was tickled at 7:28 AM -0600
on 7/16/02:

--
Sincerely,
Kid Stevens

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people....
Let us dare to read, think, speak and write."
-John Adams