RE: A web designer's job?

by Kid Stevens <kstevens89(at)comcast.net>

 Date:  Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:00:01 -0600
 To:  HWG <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Acrobat opens old PDFs and allows modification.  Burns new ones, converts
almost everything on the sun to PDF and adds all the little tricks in PDFs
that large document users know and like.

Acrobat made PDF of a technical specification for Marconi opened in
seconds, all 300 plus pages and graphics.  Scrolled smoothly and had book
marks and links, fantastic document.  It searched from page one to the last
page in 4 minutes

Only problem is that was not their original document.  It was my copy ran
through my old Acrobat.

The original was done in word 97 with that PDF creation plugin.  It took
over twenty minutes to open and when you hit a simple line drawing or
graphic it would stop and literally draw line by line.  Searching for text
was miserable, each page was like 30 to 60 seconds.

Take the cheaper way out and you pay.  Even Print to PDF on the Mac fails
on large documents.  No optimization, no performance so it shows.  If you
were to view the source it is Postscript code with some modifications.
Most of those mods are PDF identifiers and optimization.

The cost of Acrobat has come down a lot since 1.0 came out.  Worth the cost
if you can handle the extra growth it can give your business.

--
Sincerely,
Kid Stevens

"If I close my eyes forever, will things remain the same?"
-Ozzie Osborn and Lita Ford