Re: CSS Font Sizes and Macs

by KeithWBell(at)aol.com

 Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:29:00 EDT
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
In a message dated 19/09/00 14:04:16 GMT Daylight Time, darrell(at)webctr.com
writes:

> I am getting complaints regarding our use of ems to set font sizes.
>  Apparently, some browsers (notably Netscape 4.x) on Mac sytems display the
>  fonts in sizes much smaller than PCs do.  We do not set a size for the body
>  style, but let the browser set it's own to maintain display flexibility for
>  the users.

Darrell, control of font sizes using the various CSS methods is fraught with
problems because of the differing support offered by browsers and the
difference in typical screen resolution between platforms - about the only
thing that works reliably is pixels (albeit with certain accessibility
limitations). Jeffrey Zeldman covered this pretty exhaustively in a recent
issue of A List Apart starting at:

www.alistapart.zeldman.com/stories/fear4/index.html

It's a different approach, but you might find the info in the article useful.

Regards
Keith Bell