Re: Rollovers - images don't preload - why?

by KeithWBell(at)aol.com

 Date:  Thu, 1 Jun 2000 02:49:20 EDT
 To:  choicemag(at)hotmail.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mike, I looked at your site again with a variety of browsers after you made
code the change I suggested, and I found that the rollver images ARE now
preloading properly. If you're still experiencing a problem, maybe it's at
your end as Jalal suggested - I've now heard several people describing this
situation with the settings in IE5. Could that be it?

Regards
Keith Bell

In a message dated 31/05/00 17:30:33 GMT Daylight Time, choicemag(at)hotmail.com
writes:

> Thanks, I did that,but the rollovers still take 4-5 seconds to happen, no
>  matter how often i do it.  And I can see the modem activity as it calls
the
>  second image from the site.  So it's still not preloading.
>
>  I guess I ought to throw out Fireworks and do the javascript by hand
>  instead.  Has anyone been able to make Fireworks produce rollovers that
work

>  properly?
>
>  Any other ideas?
>
>  Cheers,
>  Mike Kear
>  AFP Web Development
>  Windsor, NSW, Australia
>
>  >From: KeithWBell(at)aol.com
>  >To: choicemag(at)hotmail.com, hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
>  >Subject: Re: Rollovers - images don't preload - why?
>  >Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:06:04 EDT
>  >
>  >Hi Mike
>  >
>  >Just took a quick look at your page: your mouseover images are actually
>  >preloading - well, sort of. Your problem is that you are calling the
>  >"preload" function from an onLoad event in the BODY tag - so it won't
>  >execute
>  >until AFTER the rest of the page has completely loaded.
>  >
>  >Instead of making the function call from the onLoad event, just put it in
>  >the
>  >HEAD section after defining the preload function, like this:
>  >
>  >/* Functions that handle preload. */
>  >function MM_preloadImages() { //v3.0
>  >  var d=document; if(d.images){ if(!d.MM_p) d.MM_p=new Array();
>  >    var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0;
>  >i<a.length;
>  >i++)
>  >    if (a[i].indexOf("#")!=0){ d.MM_p[j]=new Image;
d.MM_p[j++].src=a[i];}}