Re: browsers

by KeithWBell(at)aol.com

 Date:  Tue, 7 Mar 2000 19:51:54 EST
 To:  todd(at)kosoma.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
In a message dated 07/03/00 22:24:39 GMT Standard Time, todd(at)kosoma.com
writes:

> I have the
>  newest versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer.  Is
>  it possible to have older versions of those without
>  messing up the newer ones?

Netscape seems OK if you install different versions to different directories.
 IE is a different story; different versions interfere with each other. Only
"safe" way I know is to have different versions on different disk partitions
(or on different computers!).

>  And is there any way to
>  test a page in AOL browsers without signing up for
>  AOL's service?

This question comes up frequently on the list. Yes, with AOL versions 4 and 5
you can test pages without signing up (so long as you have the file on the
local machine, which I presume you have if you're building the page). Once
the AOL software is installed, select "Open" from the "File" menu and enter
the file you want to view. This is not possible with version 3 and earlier,
which couldn't open local files this way (at least, not on the UK released
versions).

> What are some of the other common
>  browsers?

Opera (www.opera.com) is becoming increasingly popular due to its speed,
compact size (the dowload is only around 1MB - compare that with IE and NN!),
customisability, and high degree of support for CSS.

And there are people who still choose to use text-only browsers like Lynx
(http://lynx.browser.org/). You might also find sites like www.anybrowser.org
and www.cast.org/bobby useful.

HTH
Keith Bell