Re: Validation problem

by Donna Smillie <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:43:58 +0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  DevlinPeterW(at)JohnDeere.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
A quick update on my original post, on the off chance that anyone out
there is marginally interested... :)

First, in the course of an email conversation with another list member
about this issue, I realised that I was less than clear in my original
post.  I didn't mean that moving the first comment to after the
opening <.html> tag would result in the page *passing* validation.
All I meant was that that seemed to be required in order for the
validator to be able to parse the file in the first place, rather than
choking on it and throwing up the message about it being content-type
"text/plain".

Testing further, though, we then found that this appears to be an
Internet Explorer specific issue (surprise surprise), since, when I
tried uploading the original source code file to the validator using
Opera, the validator was able to parse it OK as "text/html".

So, slightly weird, but something to bear in mind if you use the
"upload file" option with the W3C validator.

Regards,
Donna