RE: Need simple delay loop

by Jeremy Duncanson <aesic(at)softhome.net>

 Date:  Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:41:27 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 4:49 PM -0400 on 8/16/02, John Woram wrote:

> Timothy Booker wrote: "window.setTimeout() and window.setInterval()
> are the usual ways of timing things in Javascript."
>
> Right -- my problem is I can't get either to work as expected.
> Actually, I was using the document.write(k) function because I thought
> it would be a reasonably-easy way to watch the effects of various
> delay techniques. Maybe I need to pick a different test method.

Using setTimeout doesn't work because you've just overwritten your source
with document.write. However, you could use frames and write into a
different one with your script. Alternatively, you could use a textbox to
display your numbers. Netscape has an example clock that updates every
second within their javascript documentation or tutorials.

Jeremy Duncanson