Re: Link disappearance

by Jens Brueckmann <lists(at)j-a-b.net>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:55:18 +0100
 To:  Juliana Halvorson <jh(at)graphmaster.com>,
"hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Juliana,

> Anyway, I have run into an issue that I have never had before.  If you
> visit http://www.uforoswell.com, at the bottom you will notice some text
> links.  The problem is, one never appears.  Everything works on my end
> until I publish the site.  In between the Activity and FAQ is supposed
> to be a link to sponsors.

the sponsors' link works fine for me on Win2000 using the following
browsers:

	Opera 6.05
	Opera 7.20
	Opera7.23
	Netscape 7.1
	Mozilla 1.4
	Mozilla 1.6
	Firebird 0.7
	Firefox 0.8
	Internet Explorer 6 SP1

However, there seems to be a an erroneous link this section of your source
code. Have a look at these lines, starting with the "Activity" link and
ending with the "FAQ" link:

	|&nbsp;
	&nbsp; |
	&nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;
	&nbsp;&nbsp; |

In the third line you see a link pointing to index.htm which is just
presented by a non breaking space. I am not acquainted with Frontpage but
I gather this might be the result of an error in some include file. This
link is also present on your other pages, just pointing to index.htm of
the corresponding folder.
You might want to find out why this link is inserted.

I also had a quick look at your CSS file, win.css. Markup is not allowed
in (linked) CSS files.
Luckily most browser will just ignore it, nevertheless this might be a
cause for some browser to not render your page as intended. Remove the
entire markup, leaving only the plain ruleset starting with line

	a:active  [...]

and ending with line

	.smtext a:hover     [...]

I will not further comment on the use of Frontpage but would like to draw
your attention to the recent interesting discussion on this list about
standards.

Cheers,

jens

--