Re: Making radio buttons without the use of a name element

by Jens Brueckmann <lists(at)j-a-b.net>

 Date:  Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:50:03 +0200
 To:  Ryne Anderson <disc_list341(at)hotmail.com>,
"hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Ryne,

> I'm trying to uncover a way I can make radio buttons without using the
> name element, which XHTML1.0 has declared depreciated.  I cannot use CSS
> to aid - it must be all XHTML strict.  I have yet to find a way to do
> this on the web, W3 mentions it's depreciated yet dosn't specify any
> alternative to using the name element.
>
> As of right now I have a bunch of radio buttons with unique ID's,
> however none of them relates to one another since they don't recognize
> being in the same group.  Making ID's the same won't work either, as
> that dosn't validate.

The name attribute is not generally deprecated in XHTML but still allowed
for form elements [1].

Have a look at this small example validating as XHTML 1.1:

http://www.j-a-b.net/tmp/radio.html
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.j-a-b.net/tmp/radio.html

Yours,

jens