Re: Arranging of material

by J_A_B(at)t-online.de (Jens Brueckmann)

 Date:  Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:09:05 +0100
 To:  Bruce Cameron <dumarest(at)midcoast.com>
 Cc:  "hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Bruce,

> I see and know that many of not most web pages use tables to arrange
> data and materiel on the web page, but this is denigrated by W3C, and I
> wonder if people would comment on how CSS can be effectively used to
> eliminate the need to use table for layout purposes.

This can best be done using the box-model properties and the float or
position properties on <div>-elements.

For a description of the box-model see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/box.html

Very good information on CSS-layout you will find at:
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/

and looking at the source of the following page might give you an idea as
well how tables can be eliminated:
http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/examples/positioning2.html

But you should keep in mind that tables are not "evil" by themselves, they
do serve a purpose, for example arranging correlated data. It would not
make a lot of sense trying to represent such data without tables.

jens