Re: chmod translations

by Mike Schienle <mgs(at)ivsoftware.com>

 Date:  Sat, 3 Jun 2000 18:39:15 -0700
 To:  Karen Stafford <webmaster(at)noteworthydesigns.com>,
HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 4:55 PM -0500 6/3/00, Karen Stafford wrote:
>Is there a resource that "translates" chmode commands into what's used
>on WS_FPT? For instance, in configuring cgi scripts from Matt's Script
>archive, he gives directions on chmoding by using numbers. WS_FPT just
>has the choices of read/write/execute by server, etc. So, is there a
>place where I can find out exactly how to set up the file if it needs to
>be chmoded at 755, for instance? I'm very, very cgi-deficient and am
>trying to learn the hard way:-)

That read/write/execute info is a bitmask for chmod. Think of read as
a 4, write as a 2 and execute as a 1. If you want something readable
only, give it a 4. For read and write, but not execute, it's a 6
(4+2). If you want read and execute, but not write, that's a 5 (4+1).
Directories nearly always have the execute permission set.

The three numbers, as in 755, indicate (in order) user permissions,
group permissions, and other permissions. In this case, the user has
read, write and execute permissions, the group has read and execute
permissions, and others also have read and execute permissions.
--

Mike Schienle                                 Interactive Visuals, Inc.
mgs(at)ivsoftware.com                  Remote Sensing and Image Processing