Re: international registration

by David Sharp <David.Sharp(at)sharp-words.com>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Aug 2001 05:30:59 +0200
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 15:00 -0400 29/08/01, Cook, Shelby wrote:
>We've been thinking about registering our name in other countries
>besides the US and are looking at a .ch extension.  I've visited the
>nic.ch site and everything looks fine but I was asked whether we can
>host this on a US server and I had no answer.

If the Swiss, who are not exactly economic nationalists on most
issues, had a provision obliging anyone with a ".ch" extension to
host their Internet services on Swiss servers, I think it would have
caused something of a rumpus.

In other words, although I have no direct experience of Switzerland
(I live next door, in France), I'd be very surprised if you needed to
worry.

In most countries there is no obligatory relationship between
registering a name and where you then host the corresponding services.

You may have to register through a Swiss-approved registrar, just as
anyone registering a ".fr" extension has to go through a
French-approved one.

There may also be requirements regarding some kind of connection
between the registering person or entity and the registering country.

In France, for example, which I suspect may be more strict than
Switzerland, I don't think you'd be able to register a ".fr" name if
you didn't either live in the country, or run a company or other body
based in it.

(This seems to me to be perfectly reasonable; I think that when you
visit a site with a national domain name extension, it should mean
that you're visiting a site attached to the country in question).

Once registered, however, there's usually no restriction on where you
can actually host the service.

Best way to confirm all this: send an e-mail to nic.ch, or to one of
their registering companies.

Hope this helps,
--
David Sharp, journaliste, France <mailto:david.sharp(at)sharp-words.com>
Site personnel / Personal home page http://www.sharp-words.com/