Re: From a MAC to a PC - HTML files

by Mike Schienle <mgs(at)ivsoftware.com>

 Date:  Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:07:06 -0800
 To:  arcady(at)jps.net,
hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 5:20 PM +0000 3/23/00, Arcady wrote:
>I went through this problem with BBEdit a few months ago.
>
>MAC, PC, and UNIX all have different characters for what is a return. One of
>the three formats uses both the methods the other two use. The other two use
>either 'line-return' or 'new-line' or something like that...

Carriage-return and new-line (or line-feed) are the typical names
given to these two types of line terminators. DOS uses both, Mac uses
carriage-return and UNIX uses new-line. UNIX was first, FWIW.

>Anyway, see if there's a preference in GoLive for using the PC version of a
>return character. There was such in BBEdit though it took me a while to find
>it.

BBEdit does handle this as mentioned, but I've found something even
better. Check out DropStrip at
<http://world.std.com/~mattm/dropstrip.html>. Drop any file or group
of files on it and they convert to Mac. Hold the Command key down and
they will convert to DOS/Windows. Hold the Control key down and they
will convert to UNIX. I've been using it for several years and it
works very nice and simple. It mentions being in beta, and has
apparently ceased development, but it works as advertised.

--

Mike Schienle                                 Interactive Visuals, Inc.
mgs(at)ivsoftware.com                  Remote Sensing and Image Processing