Re: listserve

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Mar 2000 12:31:08 -0800
 To:  Karen Stafford <webmaster(at)noteworthydesigns.com>,
HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Does anyone know what it takes to set up and maintain an e-mail list,
>like a listserve?

I am assuming you mean a list server similar to this one, in which
members can post message. In addition, the ones I list here are all
usable in one-way (outgoing) applications as well, where only you can
post messages and they are broadcasted to the subscribers.

Not difficult, and there is quite a range of solutions.

- A very quick and easy solution is to use one of several free list
server services -- onelist.com is a good one. Easy to set up and run,
works well, but adds an ad to each message.

- If you want to operate your own, on your own servers, there are
three: The free majordomo; and for-fee listserv and Lyris.

I use Lyris and think it is the best. I am not affiliated -- just a
happy user. Having run a majordomo-fired list server for several
years, I am thrilled at having switched to Lyris. Not acquainted with
ListServ.

For lists with less than 200 names, it's free; above 200 you have to
buy it but if your time is worth anything, the cost will pay for
itself.

Let me know if you want to know about advantages and such.

See: http://www.lyris.com

Moe Rubenzahl
moe(at)maxim-ic.com

Director of Internet Marketing