Re: IE (PC) last line in a paragraph glitch SUMMARY

by Eric Benvenue-Jennings <eric(at)rapid13.org>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:14:57 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>From: Eric Benvenue-Jennings <eric(at)rapid13.org>
>
>I assume this is a very basic question but I've never seen it
>addressed anywhere...
>
>On a PC using IE4+ the last line in a paragraph has always got extra
>space between it and the preceding line. I've seen this on so many
>sites and for so long that I just accept it without question but for
>the second time I've had a client insist that it's not acceptable. I
>really hate telling someone that I don't know why something occurs
>but they'll just have to trust me and live with it. Can anyone speak
>to what causes this phenomenon?

I received several responses so I thought I'd thank you all and
summarize at the same time.

Apparently, this glitch only occurs when using <font> tags within <p>
blocks. It is most noticeable when the font size is set smaller than
default - the smaller the size, the more noticeable the extra space
before the last line.

There are a few work-arounds. Rage already posted some so I won't
repeat them all but the one I'm probably going to use is the one
suggested by Patty and Rebecca which is to place a <br> at the end of
the last sentence.

Thanks to all and my apologies for not providing a URL for an
illustration. I'm working on a site that hasn't been released yet.

Eric