Re: colorize a photo.

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:38:36 -0800
 To:  "Donna Fose" <donna(at)webctr.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
That's what Photoshop lives for. The right answer is to hire a
graphic designer as this takes moderate skill to do well.

The basic steps are:

- Make a mask or selection that selects the sky. Various tools let
you select pixels based on their value and color and this would be
fairly easy for your picture.

- Sometimes need to do some hand painting to get the mask right. In
this case, not much if any.

- Feather mask slightly so you don't have a sharp edge.

- Tint the masked area, preferably as a separate layer. Several ways
to do this.

- Save result as JPEG.

Also: I would tweak the photo lighten some using Levels or other
controls. Midtones need some lightening and Unsharp mask would
improve it.
Subject: colorize a photo.
Author: Donna Fose
Date: 2/16/01 12:14 PM -0800