Re: FTP scheduling for Macs

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:05:25 -0700
 To:  Suzanne Ankerbrand <sankerbrand(at)villagelife.org>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I'm looking for a Mac ftp client that will allow scheduling. Want to be
>able to automatically ftp to a web server and download files at off
>hours.... I know we can use AppleScript to do this but was wondering
>if any
>Mac people out there know of any that do?

You would think that would be built in. I looked at Interarchy and
there is a script that comes with it that is inteneded to be used
with Cron. So you can do it but you need to get Cron and adjust the
script. This is from Scripting ReadMe:

>Download Files - Takes a file with a list of URLs and downloads
>them, deleteing any lines that successfully download.  This is
>designed for use with Cron.  When you read the UMich New Files
>mailout or the Info-Mac digest, copy any interesting references into
>the file and then when the run Download Files (perhaps overnight
>using Cron) to fetch them.  Note that some version of AppleScript
>had a badly broken Read/Write Commands osax which crashes under
>PowerPC - I recommend using this only with System 7.5.

If this is not adequate, I would fire off a message to support(at)interarchy.com.

Another really excellent FTP client is at Vicomsoft.com. Lovely user
interface, very nice software. Also no delay feature I can find but a
message to them might reveal a solution.