Re: script for one page database based catalog

by Doris Kyburz <doris(at)kyburz.net>

 Date:  Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:45:18 -0700
 To:  "Christie Cooksey" <christie(at)thearmidalemall.com>,
"HWG - Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The specific reason for using a spreadsheet is how pricing is done.
My client is sells computer data supplies (tapes, cd's, etc.). They
can access their main supplier's pricing, marking it up to their
needs and export it as an excel spreadsheet. There are some 1000+
items in the inventory. "All" we need to do is to turn this excel
spreadsheet into a form/shopping cart functionality, so the clients
can insert "quantity" and "add to order". All the payment is done
through the already established accounts. Nothing needed in that part
of the process.

I have successfully worked with edatcat's shopping cart system and it
pretty much works like this: The client uploads an excel spreadsheat
that has been saved either as a comma-delimited .csv file or as a
tab-delimited .txt file. From the admin panel for the shopping cart
that file is then imported into the shoppping cart and behaves like a
database.

The only reason why I did not consider using edatcat in this case is
that my client will not see a reason why to spend 400something
dollars for a shopping cart system that "only" is needed for a one
page form. Maybe they should :-)

Greetings,

:: doris