Re: Trying for a help window...

by Floyd Baker <fbaker(at)olm1.com>

 Date:  Tue, 22 Jan 2002 00:58:39 -0500
 To:  Klaas De Waele <klaas(at)gracegraphics.be>
 Cc:  "'hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:13:04 +0100, you wrote:

>No html method.  You can use onLoad="self.resize(800,600);" in the body tag
>or just <.script>self.resize(800,600);<./script> below the body tag.
>
>Personally, I *really dislike* such things, in this order:
> - self-maximizing/full-screen windows
> - unannounced popups
>
>It's very annoying that when I resize my browser windows to maximize my user
>experience (make them the right width for the specific page I'm viewing)
>then suddenly someting comes in that changes that.  Then next time I start
>the browser it's remembered that size... specifically terrible when someone
>decides to maximize the window.
>
>On the same line, I also am not too convinced of a site when there's a
>number of pages there that suddenly require you to stretch out the browser
>window a few centimeters in order to get rid of a horizontal scroll bar.
>

>- Klaas -

Thanks for the information on the sizing.  It looks like I might be
able to pull the options from the db and count them, then set the size
parameters accordingly and automatically, using php functions, prior
to calling the box.

My intentions are honorable I assure you. <g>  I'm looking to provide
a reference list of descriptive names, if people forget what's
available for entry into a pull down with only id numbers in it.

I was going to use a non functioning pulldown menu for the reference
list.  I might still do that except I'd like it to self adjust to the
length of options available, without leaving blank choices.

In any case, the various help boxes would be sized for just the amount
of information they held.  I can adjust the text boxes to fit and
stay, but the options are variable in number.

Floyd