Re: OT?: Mac to PC Annoyance

by "Bastyr University WebMaster" <WebMaster(at)bastyr.edu>

 Date:  Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:00:54 -0700
 To:  <zylla(at)ck-sg.p.lodz.pl>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
That was it, and changing the rft coding worked.

Thanks to all who helped out!

Regards,

Doug Dossett
Webmaster
Bastyr University
http://www.bastyr.edu

At 12:48 09-08-00 -0400, you wrote:
>I suspect that what you are encountering are ligatures, i.e., glyphs =
that=20
>combine several characters.  This is commonly done in typography.  You=20
>should be able to do a search and replace in Word to replace, for =
example,=20
>all instances of the 'fi' ligature to the characters 'f' and 'i'.  Once =
you=20
>have replaced all ligatures by their equivalent characters, your =
problems=20
>should go away.

  But  Doug does not know the code for ligature fl  and fi  :-(
  The solution I see is to save document in .RTF  format,
  open it with plain text editor and find words surrounding
  that  wrongly presented (in other applaications) ligature.
  After it is established what is the coding of that, it can
  be replaced by coding for f and i  or  f and l accordingly.
  This replacement can be done within plain text editor
  with no harm to the structure of the document.

  I was forced to do similar thing when  Word 97 document
  saved in .RTF format and imported to PageMaker was loosing
  accents over Polish national characters.  The same .RTF
  document opened back in Word was presenting accents OK.

--
Romek Zylla
~~~~~~~~~~~  after all the work done by Micro$oft (R)  ~~~~~~~~~~