Re: Navigator 6.2 Tables - XHTML

by "Nigel Peck" <Nigel.Peck(at)itm-solutions.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:05:49 +0100
 To:  <thewolves(at)attbi.com>,
<thewolves(at)bigfoot.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have done two snippets that demonstrate the problem, which are both
linked from

http://www.itm-solutions.co.uk/test.html

TIA
Nigel

>>> thewolves(at)attbi.com 04/25/02 03:10pm >>>
Nigel Peck wrote:

> The page works perfectly in IE 6 and NN 6.2. However, as soon as I
> specify that the document is XHTML with <?xml.... and <!DOCTYPE....
(it
> validates without any problems) the document still works fine in IE
but
> goes completely tits up in NN in terms of the tables not laying out
> properly (large amounts of space which shouldn't be there etc.). Any
> ideas?

Well, obviously you have something in the code that NN6 handles
differently in quirks mode than it does in standards mode. Without
seeing the page or the code, it's hard to say anything beyond that.
Except that if the extra space is at the bottom of table cells that
have
images in them, try specifying align="middle" or align="top" for those

since otherwise NN6 leaves a bit of space for text descenders. But that

wouldn't be "large amounts of space", only a few pixels.

Larry Coats

ITM Business Solutions
Unit 4
Nine Trees Trading Estate
Morthen Road
Rotherham
S66 9JG

Reception
Tel: 01709 703288
Fax: 01709 701549

Help Desk
Tel:01709 530424
Fax: 01709 702159

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of
under applicable law.