Re: Form Field Names

by "Martin Clifford" <MLC1(at)nrc.gov>

 Date:  Fri, 17 May 2002 16:17:39 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
<justinh(at)whidbey.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
It would be very interesting to see what Javascript would do if you tried =
to reference an object like so:

document.form1.first.name.value;, document.form1.first:name.value;, etc.

Nathan Lyle wrote:
>=20
> I can't remember seeing anything definitive and found myself wondering
> what the general thoughts were by ya'll, or if anyone knew of online
> info saying one way or the other, what sort of format that form field
> names (or ids) are supposed to take.
>=20
> IOW, are spaces okay? Puncuation marks? Which characters are and
> aren't allowed? Long vs. Short... etc.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-id=20

ID and NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be
followed by any number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"),
underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and periods (".").

Justin H.
--=20
Nyarlathotep casts a spell.