Re: How to open page in inline window

by "Martin Clifford" <MLC1(at)nrc.gov>

 Date:  Wed, 05 Jun 2002 12:10:52 -0400
 To:  <thewolves(at)attbi.com>,
<thewolves(at)bigfoot.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'm on a government PC, and they DO NOT allow ActiveX components to be =
displayed on ANY website, including their own.  Since that is the case, I =
don't know why you get a prompt for ActiveX, and I don't.  Even more I =
don't understand why it works on this machine if it is ActiveX.  Odd.

Either way, it is extraneous to use ActiveX for something that DHTML can =
do cross-browser.

Martin

>>> thewolves(at)attbi.com 06/05/02 11:08AM >>>
Martin Clifford wrote:

> It is done by combining DHTML and IFRAME/ILAYER elements.
>=20
> Using CSS, you can set the display attribute to "none" and the element =
that has this property will not appear in the document (nor will the white =
space the elemtn occupies).  Once you change the display attribute to =
"block", the element becomes visible and takes up the appropriate amount =
of space on the page.
>=20
> Although I didn't take the time to see how they implemented this =
technique, it's very common among DHTML developers.  You'll see it =
especially in heirchial menu systems (expanding menus).
=20
>     Hi all,
>     I just found this page with a link to screwed by insurance
> http://www.openhere.com/finance/insurance/news-and-information/=20
> & they have a "[QuickView]" that opens the page in a new inline window =
(I
> don't know what else to call it). How is that done? I didn't see =
anything in
> the code to perform that function.....thought it might be interesting =
for
> everyone.
> TIA,
> Paul

There's more to it than just DHTML and IFRAME/ILAYER. I have my IE set=20
to prompt me whether or not to allow ActiveX software to run. When I=20
clicked on the "quickview" link, it prompted me whether I wanted to=20
allow ActiveX software to run. I said yes, and it displayed a small=20
window with scrollbars. When I moved a scrollbar, I got prompted again,=20
and asked whether or not to allow a script on the page to communicate=20
with an ActiveX control.

BTW, it doesn't work in Netscape 6 -- it's obviously IE-only.

Larry Coats