RE: The table's too big.

by "Martin Clifford" <MLC1(at)nrc.gov>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:40:48 -0400
 To:  <blue(at)bluesarthouse.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I tell it like I see it.  I saw it and couldn't make sense of it.  I let =
him know as much.  I'll admit that my language wasn't in the tone to =
coddle and hand-hold... I'm just not that way.

Tact is one thing, but I won't walk on eggshells around anyone.  If what I =
said upset you that much, I apologize.  But please do not try to tell me =
what I should or should not say in an open forum. :o)

Furthermore, I realize that this forum is for people of ALL technical =
levels and experience.  I've seen other forums such as this (in fact, I =
started learning through one in a newsgroup).  When I posted my first HTML =
document, I was told by someone who later became my mentor, "That code =
looks like you took a crap into a high-powered fan, shot it at a white =
wall and hoped it would look good."

To John:

The HTML that is output into that page appears to come from a server-side =
language such as ASP or PHP.  If this is the case, you can insert =
linebreaks into the output by adding \n after the lines you wish to add a =
linebreak to.

Linebreaks and indenting are a cornerstone to creating readable code.  In =
inspecting your code, I found you appeared to have 14 colums at 7% width =
each.  That totals 98% of the total page space.  However, your sidebar =
uses up at least 15% of the page width, therefore your total page width =
would be 112%, hence your page goes past the end, no matter what your =
resolution is.

Typical HTML indented code looks like this:

        Content

Like that.  Again, sorry if I insulted you, but that code is very =
difficult to read, and any noncompliance with standards really gets me =
going.

Martin

>>> "Blue Tapp" <blue(at)bluesarthouse.com> 06/26/02 01:20PM >>>
Wow Martin, I don't think the attitude of your response was necessary at
all.  There are tactful ways to communicate.  Remember this list is here =
for
people of ALL technical levels and experience.  We are here to help each
other.

Blue Tapp
Blue's ArtHouse Graphics & Web Design
705 North Florissant Road