Re: PDF file downloads from protected directory

by "Martin Clifford" <MLC1(at)nrc.gov>

 Date:  Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:04:12 -0400
 To:  <lonna(at)granbury.com>,
<hmarq(at)yerpso.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
PHP can use a library to dynamically generate PDF files from data.  =
PDFlib, I believe it is, and it might be worth looking into for someone on =
this list.  Just a heads up.

Martin Clifford
Homepage: http://www.completesource.net
Developer's Forums: http://www.completesource.net/forums/

>>> Hank Marquardt <hmarq(at)yerpso.net> 07/18/02 02:46PM >>>
This would probably need to be scripted in some server side language ...
though no matter how you slice it if you start streaming a PDF file with
application/httpd-pdf as the type (or whatever the correct type is), it
will launch the plugin if it's available on the client ... you could
work around that by putting it in a zip file or something but that's
kind of kludgy as well.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 12:11:34PM -0500, Lonna Poland wrote:
> To build on this previous discussion.....
>=20
> My client is now asking if I can find software that can provide an
> instant download of a pdf file with a password, instead of needing to
> go to a password protected directory page to pick up the file.
>=20
> Does anyone know of this software and the cost?
>=20
> Thanks,
> Lonna
>=20

--=20
Hank Marquardt <hank(at)yerpso.net>
http://web.yerpso.net=20
GPG Id: 2BB5E60C
Fingerprint: D807 61BC FD18 370A AC1D  3EDF 2BF9 8A2D 2BB5 E60C
*** Web Development: PHP, MySQL/PgSQL - Network Admin: Debian/FreeBSD
*** PHP Instructor - Intnl. Webmasters Assn./HTML Writers Guild=20
*** Beginning PHP && PHP II -- Starting March 25, 2002=20
*** See http://www.hwg.org/services/classes