Re: Usage of 'lang' and 'title' attributes

by "Nigel Peck" <Nigel.Peck(at)itm-solutions.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:20:51 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
<gabriele(at)sideralia.it>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Anyway, there are two 'conflicting' title attributes on the 'DOM'
>text fragment; and obviously the inner one (acronym) takes
>precedence. The browser shows 'DOM Level 1' but if you roll the mouse

>cursor over the 'DOM' fragment, you activate the acronym element
>title; if you go over the 'Level 1' part, you activate the a element
>title.

>What am I missing??

I think it may be me that's missing something, but it sounds like it's
doing what you want, displaying the acronym title when over the acronym
(ignoring the outer title) and displaying the outer title when over
"level 1" which has no other title.

What am I missing??

:0)

Nigel

>>> Gabriele Caniglia <gabriele(at)sideralia.it> 08/07/02 10:51am >>>
Hello list,

I was trying to understand the correct usage of 'lang' and 'title'
attributes, particularly in accordance to WAI 1.0 specifications; but
one thing is driving me nuts:

<-a href="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1"
    title="[LINK ESTERNO] Collegamento alla Raccomandazione
           W3D DOM Level 1">
    <-span lang="en">
    	<-acronym title="Document Object Model">DOM</acronym> Level 1
</a>

The language of 'DOM Level 1' is English, and DOM is an acronym; the
acronym element inherits the lang attribute from the outer span
element, so it gets English. Outside, the <-a> element keeps the
document language (italian) because its title attribute is expressed
into Italian. Is it right?

Anyway, there are two 'conflicting' title attributes on the 'DOM'
text fragment; and obviously the inner one (acronym) takes
precedence. The browser shows 'DOM Level 1' but if you roll the mouse
cursor over the 'DOM' fragment, you activate the acronym element
title; if you go over the 'Level 1' part, you activate the a element
title.

What am I missing??

Thanks a lot in advance,
--
Gabriele

ITM Business Solutions
Unit 4
Nine Trees Trading Estate
Morthen Road
Rotherham
S66 9JG

Reception
Tel: 01709 703288
Fax: 01709 701549

Help Desk
Tel:01709 530424
Fax: 01709 702159

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of
under applicable law.