Re: Home Page Design

by "Nigel Peck" <Nigel.Peck(at)itm-solutions.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:23:53 +0100
 To:  <mikemckee(at)cablespeed.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The first thing I said to him when he raised this was that I'd love to
do some usability testing, so he knows it's an option. Spending money
always causes problems round here though....

On Thursday, September 12, 2002, at 02:11  AM, Nigel Peck wrote:

> There is a difference of opinion between myself and my manager as to

> how
> our company website (focused on selling products and services)
should
> present the homepage.
>
> My opinion is that it is best to provide some example products and
> services with links direct to details of these on the homepage, to
give
> users a way in to the rest of the site (and hopefully to sell more
of
> the example content).
>
> From looking at popular sites like Amazon I seem to be correct.
>
> However, my manager believes that we should provide text giving an
> overview of everything the company does. Mu opinion of this is that
if
> users want that they will go to the about section (and that only a
> small
> percentage want it, the rest want to get on with specific tasks).
>
> The homepage in question is at:
> http://www.itm-solutions.co.uk/
>
> My manager prefers this one:
> http://www.pcs-technical.com/
>
> Obviously there's some pride involved here (from me) as I've put a
lot
> of effort into the site, and the way it is designed (especially the
> homepage) so all opinions gratefully recieved. Please tell me if I'm
> wrong.
>
> Thanks
> Nigel

Interesting situation. Looking at both sites, it's a tough choice. They

both seem to do the job. IMO there's no "wrong" here. Also considering

how difficult it often is to sway a supervisor with just your own
opinion, this might be a good time to pull off a quick usability test.

Would it be possible to pull in a few people without vested interest to

use the site and give feedback? Maybe you could agree with your
supervisor on a couple of needs the site has and have these people test

how easy it is to find specific information. His choice would
definitely benefit from some better contact information.

Just a couple of points on the wording of your design. In the middle
column, middle section you end with: Optimisation for their Novell or
Microsoft server(s). It may not be proper grammar but you may want to
say your instead of their. It's a matter ownership. Also, the (s) isn't

a form that marketing people ever use. It's a geek (and I'm proud of
it) thing. You could choose either the plural or singular form and it
would work.

best wishes
michael
	http://www.michaelmckee.org

ITM Website Relaunched 15th August 2002
http://www.itm-solutions.co.uk/

ITM Business Solutions
Unit 4
Nine Trees Trading Estate
Morthen Road
Rotherham
S66 9JG

Reception
Tel: 01709 703288
Fax: 01709 701549

Help Desk
Tel:01709 530424
Fax: 01709 702159

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of
under applicable law.