Re: CSS Tables: Aargh !?!?

by Donna Smillie <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:43:10 +0100
 Cc:  Michael D Schleif <mds(at)helices.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi again Michael

Had a more in-depth look at things now I had some time to do so, and
while I still can't address all of the issues you raised, I do have a
couple of further suggestions which might help with at least some of
these issues.

Try including the text size for INPUT, SELECT and OPTION elements in
the CSS styles.  E.g. set text size for these elements to 1em.  That
should help to make the scaling of these elements more in proportion
to the browser text size and to the other elements on the page which
resize according to the browser text size.  From my own tests I think
that should also help to reduce any large gaps between columns, and
make them better proportioned to the selected text size.

The grey bar under the "Search" button is caused by a default margin
on the FORM element - if you add a CSS style for FORM setting margin:
0px, that should get rid of it.

And of course, as I said in my previous post and as others have also
suggested, don't be afraid of using tables where the content is
genuinely tabular - that's what tables are for, and it should help to
make the presentation of the search results easier and more
consistent.

Hope that helps you get closer to your formatting goals with this
project!

Regards,
Donna