Re: CSS again and relative links

by "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed(at)jaedworks.com>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2000 03:22:26 -0700
 To:  "hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org" <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:06 PM -0700 6/28/2000, Rebecca Jean Pedersen wrote:
>sorry to keep plaguing everyone with my questions, but I found an
>inconsistency between what I read and what I found in practice.  I read
>that relative links are interpretted relative to the style sheet's
>location, but when I worked from that it couldn't find my image.

This is a known Netscape bug with CSS. It violates the spec in this area.
(Pain in the ass, too, since there's no really good way to design around
it.)

In general you will find that browser support of CSS is...uneven, shall we
say. Netscape 4.x is a nightmare, MSIE 3.0 is a sub-nightmare, and MSIE 4.x
is a partial nightmare. ;-). MSIE 5.x and now Mozilla are much better.  I
don't use Opera, but my impression is that its support is somewhere in the
middle.

The charts at <http://webreview.com/pub/guides/style/style.html> are an
indispendable resource for coping with browser-incompatibility nightmares.

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed(at)jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com