Re: Am I in a time warp?

by "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed(at)jaedworks.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:24:29 -0700
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:34 AM -0700 4/27/2000, Laurie M. Landry wrote:
>But don't feel slighted. The cold reality of determining web stats in
>business... if the viewers come to a business website, and the Mac users
>account for only 1%

...because the web site has been designed by people who don't know what
they're doing and therefore have made it unusable by anyone not using a
system just like the designers' systems, in OS, browser version, fonts
loaded, color depth, screen size, window size, and preference settings?

In other words, beware of using visits to your own site as a gauge of
customer interest if you have even the slightest suspicion that your site's
design isn't well usable by some of your customers. It skews the results
something 'orrible, and you'll never know it.

This applies also to other aspects of the customer's setup. "I *know* all
my customers have Javascript enabled, because I test for it on this
interior page, which you can't reach from the site's main page if
Javascript is off. So I don't need to think about making the navigation
fall back gracefully, I'll just ignore it." Etc.