Re: Calling two frame pages with one click?

by David Sharp <dsharp(at)vavi.com>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:48:12 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Roger Stenning writes:

>I'd like to be able to change both the main and menu parts of a frameset
>with a
>single click (menu calls a sub-site within the same frameset), *without* the
>use of any form of scripting bar HTML4.

A trivial solution is to call an entirely different frameset, using a
target="_top" attribute in the link that calls the new frames.

This however removes one of the main justifications for frames, which is
precisely to avoid reloading all the content each time you want to call a
new page.

A subtler way of doing this involves some kind of scripting language,
either server-side or client side.

Back in the days when I still used frames, I used to do it with PHP.

[I did it because my client was convinced that if his site didn't have
frames, it wasn't cool.]

If your reason for wanting to change the menu each time a link is clicked
on is that you want the selected item to be highlighted, you will certainly
need to use some kind of scripting language.

And perhaps you should also ask yourself if you really need frames.

Hope this helps.

--
David Sharp, journaliste, France <http://www.vavi.com/>
Tel (home) 331 42 64 35 94  - (office) 331 40 41 47 92