Re: Document Types (spinoff from stylesheets threads)

by Nathan <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>

 Date:  Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:35:41 -0500
 To:  Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>
 Cc:  HWG Techniques Email List <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>To be honest, not much. It would mean that the page would be rendered in
>quirks mode rather than standards mode in  browsers that look for it. It
>may become a significant issue in the future. It is much easier to deal
>with well formed XHTML than tag-soup HTML. Future browsers may use
>completely separate rendering engines based on DOCTYPE: a nice efficient
>one for nice XHTML tha6 correctly identifies itself, and a not so nice
>chunky error correcting one for everything else.

That is what I found out to be the problem with Netscape, I hadn't realized
that it was rendering the page differently based on the doctype (though it
*should* have occured to me). It's tempting to just leave out the DTD to
avoid the problem, but a voice in the back of my head whispers that I'd
just be being lazy to do that. :)  So, I'll keep mucking around in the
hopes of getting all this to come together in some sort of sense for
myself. I'm definitely all for standards, as I think anyone who's designed
for multiple browsers would be. :-/

~Nathan Lyle
E-mail: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
Web: http://www.nathanlyle.com
Phone: (906)485-4806

"A true music lover is one who on hearing a blonde soprano singing in the
bathtub puts his ear to the keyhole." - Anonymous